Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?
— Seasons of Love, Rent
The figures for Stitch reliability are in, and we have some bad news and some good news. The bad news is that Stitch was unavailable for customers four times during 2018. The good news is that those outages added up to less than 8 minutes total out of 525,600 minutes in a year, as measured by a Pingdom check we run every minute. That works out to 99.998% availability.
As impressive as that figure is, it's still paints an unnecessarily gloomy picture. We also measured Stitch's reliability by looking at the total number of "available" (i.e. HTTP status code 2xx, indicating successful) responses from the Stitch import API divided by the total number of valid requests to the import API. On that basis, our availability was 99.99999%.
Just how reliable is seven nines availability?
Things that were more likely than Stitch being unavailable:
- Being struck by lightning or killed by fireworks in your lifetime
- If you're pregnant, having quadruplets
- Being hit by a car this year
- Being dealt a royal flush on your next poker hand
Things that were less likely:
- Picking a perfect NCAA basketball playoff bracket
- Being hit by a meteor
- The Sun failing to come up tomorrow morning
- Meeting a time-traveling version of yourself from the future
Ready to take those odds? Sign up now for reliable ETL and a highly available data pipeline.